Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Cutest New Trend: Puggles


Like sweatbands in the 1980s and Pokémon in the late 90s, the Puggle is America’s newest trend. Ever since Jason Segal’s character in I Love You, Man paraded his adorable Puggle, Anwar Sadat, along the Venice Beach boardwalk, the breed has become a national favorite. This lovechild between a Pug and a Beagle recently surpassed the Labradoodle as the most popular designer dog, promoted by such A-listers as Jake Gyllenhaal, Uma Thurman, and Sylvester Stallone.


I understand the appeal of combining a Beagle’s energy and playfulness with a Pug’s charisma and wrinkled forehead. I mean, that’s like a man with the body Cristiano Ronaldo and the whit of Stephen Colbert! But despite the fact that I think Puggles are eccentric, fun-loving, and ridiculously cute dogs, I am concerned with the trendiness associated with the breed. I don’t like the idea of a dog being categorized with Gucci purses and Ugg boots; cute for a few years, then obsolete.


Very few people will deny that engineered canine hybrids like Labradoodles, Puggles, and Cockapoos are wonderful dogs, but what about the un-engineered mutts? How can we discriminate against the puppies conceived during one-afternoon-stands under a park bench or secret love affairs near the fire hydrant? What about the Pitt-Weiler-Doodles, the Labra-Husky-auzers, and the Sheppa-Masti-huahuas? I don’t think I could morally – or financially – pay over $1000 dollars for a designer puppy, when these healthy, lovable mutts are desperate for love.


Having grown up with pure-bred cocker spaniels myself, I absolutely do not disregard the pure-bred lovers among us. Pure-breds, offspring of pure-breds, and unidentifiable mutts can all make wonderful pets. I don’t think there is any shame in owning the offspring of an AKC champion (which Maci certainly is not ), but I do think that dog owners need to know what they expect to get out of their puppy-person relationship and choose a dog for the right reasons. Breed choice should match your personal lifestyle, not your shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment